you obviously have

      TOO MUCH TIME







Right now I'm...

Listening to :
Nick Cave : Murder Ballads

Reading :
Defying Hitler

Occupation :
CEO

Weirdest Dream lately :
I dreamed I was on the "other side" when my Dad was passing. I spoke to him and made sure he was okay. Then I woke, and knew he was gone. 30 minutes later, we got the call from the hospital saying that his blood pressure had crashed in the last 30 minutes.

Currently working on :
A BTVS related story called "Long Goodbye" which deals with a member of the Watchers Council being vamped as part of an experiment.
Also completing my nanowrimo effort.

::Menu::

Blogs

o Holz
o HazzardX
o Mike
o Wil
o Neil

Entertainment

o BuffyBB
o PVP
o TV Sans Pity
o Sexylosers
o Slashdot
o Mils Page
o Dilbert
o The Onion
o Savage Love

News

o Information Clearing House
o Greg Palast
o Noam Chomsky Archive
o Zmag
o Want to Know
o What Really Happened
o Guerrillanews
o Spin Sanity
o Media Whores On Line
o TV News Lies

Of interest

o James Randi
o Sceptics dictionary
o Urban legends debunked
o JunkScience
o Numberwatch
o Museum of Hoaxes
o Free Encyclopedia
o Superstring Theory
o Steal This Book

Quality Smut

o Miss Tracys
o Kirstin Archives


::Archives::
Jan 2003
Feb 2003
Mar 2003
Apr 2003
May 2003
Jun 2003
Jul 2003
Aug 2003
Sep 2003
Oct 2003
Nov 2003
Dec 2003
Jan 2004
Feb 2004
Mar 2004
Apr 2004
May 2004
Jun 2004
Jul 2004
Aug 2004
Sep 2004
Oct 2004
Nov 2004
Dec 2004
Jan 2005
Feb 2005
Mar 2005
Apr 2005
May 2005
Jun 2005

A blog for that outspoken and aggressive member of the Buffy Bulletin Board.
This page is powered by Blogger.
   Monday, November 22, 2004

J.F.K. (1917-1963)


I wrote this yesterday, but blogger is being a whorebitch again.

I'm different to most people. I don't remember where/when I was, when I heard about Kennedy's death. It's all sort of a blur. But I do remember trying to put the newspaper together, and having to write about it. (Owners and Editors face deadlines too, and this was not something you could have prepackaged and sitting around.)

I can still remember that, in a fit of idiotic hubris, I had allocated the entire second page for my own piece. All text, and no photos. And then discovering over the course of hours that I did not know as much about the man as I would have liked. I knew more, much more, about his public image.

I remember letting the minutes slide by, staring into space, as I tried to remember anything that might give a human side to the man, who was even then, becoming larger than life. A legend. A White House messiah cut down in his prime. But I didn't want to write some fawning adoration to a fake god-head, when chances were that future revelations would tarnish the mans reputation. I wanted to write something that would last. (One of the reasons I got out of that business too... Daily news was becoming ultimately disposible.). But this was different. I knew that. This news wasn't disposible. It was history in a way that few stories are. And there was a lot of white space to fill.

I used to have a sign in my office, a motto of sorts. Words to live by anyway, which I used to keep in mind every time I sat down to write. It can be loosely translated as "Don't fuck it up".

The years between then and now, have not been kind to Kennedy. But the public has. They have more or less forgiven his indiscretions. The Cuban missile crisis is regarded as his brave unblinking stare-down of the communist menace. The most common speech that people remember, is either the one that launched the space race
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"

or the one from his Inaugeral address
"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you: Ask what you can do for your country."

And these are good words to remember.

I could do a better job these days, of writing about the human side of Kennedy. His mistakes, both personal and political. Certainly, I could tear into some of the decisions that he made, or the reckless or illegal or immoral acts of his administration. But what would be the point? And on his anniversary, at that?

J.F.K. wasn't a saint. He was a man, caught in the riptide of history, fighting forces that were beyond the comprehension of normal citizens. He was victorious sometimes, and bowed when he had to be. But he wasn't the type of man to break.

Some can argue that that is why his removal was "approved" by those who hold the real power. I'm not trying to say that.
Rather, I would say that that is why he remains a good role model, and an inspiration to many.

Requiat In Pace



Comments: Post a Comment