you obviously have

      TOO MUCH TIME







Right now I'm...

Listening to :
Nick Cave : Murder Ballads

Reading :
Defying Hitler

Occupation :
CEO

Weirdest Dream lately :
I dreamed I was on the "other side" when my Dad was passing. I spoke to him and made sure he was okay. Then I woke, and knew he was gone. 30 minutes later, we got the call from the hospital saying that his blood pressure had crashed in the last 30 minutes.

Currently working on :
A BTVS related story called "Long Goodbye" which deals with a member of the Watchers Council being vamped as part of an experiment.
Also completing my nanowrimo effort.

::Menu::

Blogs

o Holz
o HazzardX
o Mike
o Wil
o Neil

Entertainment

o BuffyBB
o PVP
o TV Sans Pity
o Sexylosers
o Slashdot
o Mils Page
o Dilbert
o The Onion
o Savage Love

News

o Information Clearing House
o Greg Palast
o Noam Chomsky Archive
o Zmag
o Want to Know
o What Really Happened
o Guerrillanews
o Spin Sanity
o Media Whores On Line
o TV News Lies

Of interest

o James Randi
o Sceptics dictionary
o Urban legends debunked
o JunkScience
o Numberwatch
o Museum of Hoaxes
o Free Encyclopedia
o Superstring Theory
o Steal This Book

Quality Smut

o Miss Tracys
o Kirstin Archives


::Archives::
Jan 2003
Feb 2003
Mar 2003
Apr 2003
May 2003
Jun 2003
Jul 2003
Aug 2003
Sep 2003
Oct 2003
Nov 2003
Dec 2003
Jan 2004
Feb 2004
Mar 2004
Apr 2004
May 2004
Jun 2004
Jul 2004
Aug 2004
Sep 2004
Oct 2004
Nov 2004
Dec 2004
Jan 2005
Feb 2005
Mar 2005
Apr 2005
May 2005
Jun 2005

A blog for that outspoken and aggressive member of the Buffy Bulletin Board.
This page is powered by Blogger.
   Sunday, November 21, 2004

Dream


I had often heard that the recently dead visit our dreams.

Obviously, I don't believe that. I don't think you can attribute any particular signifigance to dreams. They're just weird mental neuron firings. But that said, I wanted to use the blog to record my mental state in dealing with my fathers death.

I mentioned that I had not exhibited any real grief to any great extent. In my dreams it's different though. A few nights ago for example, I had a rather upsetting dream. I was in a bedroom that looked, for all intents and purposes, like a AOD's room from about 20 years ago. My dad and I were getting into an argument, over something I can't even remember. And it started the way these things usually did. Neither of us were shouting just yet, but each of us was projecting our voices at louder and clearer volumes. It ended with us shouting at each other, and my ultimate rejoinder was along the lines of "What do you know? You're DEAD!!" In the dream, I was quite upset.

It woke me up, as these things sometimes do. My face was dry, and I got back to sleep. And had another dream about my dad. This time, my family were gathered at a crossroads I know, and my father was coming up the hill towards us. He was walking slowly, and dressed in a smart overcoat. When he drew level to us, we knew he was going somewhere, and couldn't stay long. We were all talking at once. My Dad looked sad and nervous. And on some level I remembered he was gone, and the idea occurred to me that he was on his way to judgement. I reached up and straightened his tie, and tried to reassure him that he was a good man. When he left, we stayed at the corner watching him walk away. It was upsetting. He disappeared before he turned the corner and went out of sight.

My sleep patterns over the last few weeks have been erratic. And while I normally remember my dreams easily, there majority of recent nights, I don't remember them. But when I wake, the ever-present loss I feel, is diminished. So I think I'm dreaming about my dad nightly, even if I don't remember it.

I'm still not grieving in my waking hours. It's strange to me. I can go through periods of the day where I don't think about it or him for hours at a time. But then I see something, read something, think of something, and my first inclination is to want to tell my Dad, or to wonder what he'd think of it.

Being a huge fan of cell phone technology, I've got numbers and sim cards for almost a dozen countries. I can't remember the amount of times I could have been just walking along a street, or waiting at an airport, or something, and I'd call my Dad just to chat for a few minutes. Distance was never a factor, I used to tell him. A cell phone meant I was always just in the next room.

Now I carry him with me. And we talk and hug and fight in my dreams.



Comments:
I recently had a dream that comforted me and gave me reassurance that I was a good man. The dream came thru a local newspaper that was published by former Minnesota governor Elmer Anderson. The next day I discovered he died. I haven't read or written to this paper for about ten years. I admired his editorials.
 
Post a Comment